Friday, September 23, 2011

American Dad racist?

The work of culture I decided to use for this assignment is "American Dad". "American Dad" reinforces the ideologies that caucasions are the dominant race. "American Dad" has been on since 2005. It is currently played on several television channels and is planning to continue well past 2012. I must admit that the show is hilarious, but it deffinatly has racial problems. Anyone not from america seeing this show is forced to stereotype most americans. It also forces people to think wrongly of other races.

"American Dad" is a show about a white male that works at the Cia. At the Cia they make jokes about all other ethnicitys and dodnt do anything. Ther also is no other people besides white men at the cia. In every episode there is a moment wher the main character Stan, makes fun of an ethnicity such as Chinese, or African Americans. In one episode I saw recently they had an african american girl working with Steve, Stan’s son, on a homework assignment. Then francine walked in and told the young girl you need to go leave this house, now. Then she revealed her problems with that race. She just didn’t like them. I find that incredibly racist.

An example of "American Dads" Racism is this quote “ Stan: So, what part of Islam do you hail from? Bob: Well, my parents were from Iran, but I was born in Cleveland. Stan: Really? You know, we also have a Cleveland here in America. And it'd be just super if you didn't blow it up.”. Now as you can tell bob is an Iranian, but this is extremely racist. I have to admit the show is hilarious and I watch it almost every night, and America is given the right to freedom of speech, but isnt this a going ove the edge a little?

4 comments:

Jessica Joy Stupak said...

Dude, I totally didn't even noticed that EVERY GUY IN THE C.I.A is white in the show! Also, Family Guy is made by the same guy, but American Dad seems to portray more racism than his other show. Even though I do have to admit it is a hilarious show, it does go over the edge a lot.

Chris LeBlanc said...

I like this show and watch is some times when it's on and it straight up funny. But than again it is racist, and then again its the racism that can be funny. Kinda sad when I think back at laughing at it but yet ill laugh at it again, and again. Do we Americans just not take racism as serious anymore or what? cause I know im not the only one laughing at American Dad :P

Tyler Brown said...

i watch this show every now and then and i find it sort of funny. But i had never realized that they make jokes about different ethnicity's and how theres no other kind of race in the CIA. Ill make sure to pay attention and check it out the next time i watch american dad!

Blakeous Brownous said...

Thanks you guys for the awesome comments. Yeah I agree its really funny. Chris your right I believe that Americans no longer see racism as something serious and often it is just thrown around like a joke.